BEANS PLACE, TX
BEANS PLACE, TEXAS. Beans Place, also known as Beans, Cross, and Horger, is on the west bank of the Angelina River just west of State Highway 63 and twelve miles northwest of Jasper in northwestern Jasper County. It was settled by 1904, when Ira S. Bean built a store and established a post office called Horger, named for John Miller Horger, president of the W. H. Ford Male and Female College at Newton. In 1914 the area had a population of twenty. Because of the name's similarity to the names of the other Texas towns of Spurger and Borger, the United States Post Office Department in 1925 opened a new post office named Bean's Place, and the Horger office closed in 1929. The community's population was recorded as twenty-five from 1934 to 1944. The 1936 county highway map showed scattered dwellings and a campsite on State Highway 63, and in 1948 the community was on a rural mail route. The town was still shown on county maps in the 1980s as Beans Community, but by that time no population figures were available.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Diana J. Kleiner, "BEANS PLACE, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrb12), accessed February 01, 2015. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.