BELOTT, TEXAS. Belott, a farming community on Farm Road 1733 twelve miles northeast of Crockett in east central Houston County, was probably established around the time of the Civil War. It was named for Andrew J. Belott, a prominent early settler buried in nearby New Energy Cemetery. A local school was built in the 1870s, and a post office operated in the community from 1890 to 1908. In the mid-1930s the settlement had a church, a school, four stores, and an estimated population of fifty. The school was consolidated with that of Glover in 1936; in 1968 the Glover school became part of the Kennard school district. After World War II many residents moved away, and by the mid-1960s only a church and a single store remained; the estimated population in 1965 was twenty. In the early 1990s Belott was a dispersed rural community. In 2000 the population had grown to 101.
Houston County Historical Commission, History of Houston County, Texas, 1687–1979 (Tulsa, Oklahoma: Heritage, 1979).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Eliza H. Bishop, "BELOTT, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrb20), accessed March 08, 2014. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.