BRINKER, TEXAS. Brinker, on Farm Road 69 seven miles east of Sulphur Springs in eastern Hopkins County, was settled around 1845 and named for a pioneer family. A school was built there in 1872, financed by private donations. Church services were held in the school until 1880, when a Baptist church building was erected. Smith Bromley opened a local cotton gin in 1882. A Brinker post office opened in 1901 with Susan W. Coppedge as postmistress; it operated until 1906. In the mid-1930s Brinker had a school, a church, and a number of scattered dwellings. In 1940 the reported population was twenty. In the late 1980s the community had a meeting hall, a church, and a cemetery.
Sylvia M. Kibart and Rita M. Adams, eds., Pioneers of Hopkins County, Texas, Vol. 1 (Wolfe City, Texas: Henington, 1986).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.J. E. Jennings, "BRINKER, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrb55), accessed September 21, 2014. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.