BROWNSBORO, TX (CALDWELL COUNTY)
BROWNSBORO, TEXAS (Caldwell County). Brownsboro is on Farm Road 1322 eight miles southeast of Lockhart in south central Caldwell County. Soon after the area began to be settled in the 1850s, the Clear Fork Baptist Church was established there. The community that grew up around the church was named for R. A. Brown. In the 1920s the community's economy received a boost from the discovery of oil in nearby fields. Brownsboro had a store, a gin, and a school, in addition to the church, to serve about fifty families. In the 1930s the community had a semiprofessional baseball team. Brownsboro began to fade in the 1940s, when the population fell to twenty-five. Area children attended the nearby Oakland school until it was consolidated with the Lockhart Independent School District in 1949. A few scattered houses remained at the site of Brownsboro in the 1980s. In 2000 the population was fifty.
Mark Withers Trail Drive Museum, Historical Caldwell County (Dallas: Taylor, 1984).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Vivian Elizabeth Smyrl, "BROWNSBORO, TX (CALDWELL COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrb58), accessed September 23, 2014. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.