BUCK, TEXAS. Buck was on State Highway 116 seventy-eight miles north of Houston in west central Polk County. The community was named for H. D. (Buck) Reynolds, who moved south from Arkansas and bought the Livingston Lumber Manufacturing Company about 1903. Reynolds built a town around the sawmill, near the Houston, East and West Texas Railway. Buck eventually had a store, a church, a hotel, a school, and homes for the mill workers. Once local timber was cut, about 1920, the mill was sold and moved to Honey Island. The Buck post office, established in 1904, was discontinued in 1930. Only about twenty-five persons remained in the early 1940s, and more recent lists of Texas towns do not include the old sawmill community.
A Pictorial History of Polk County, Texas, 1846–1910 (Livingston, Texas: Polk County Bicentennial Commission, 1976; rev. ed. 1978).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Robert Wooster, "BUCK, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrb60), accessed December 10, 2013. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.