BOBO, TEXAS. Bobo is on U.S. Highway 84 twelve miles northwest of Center in northwestern Shelby County. The settlement grew up in the mid-1880s as a stop on the newly built Houston, East and West Texas Railway. A post office operated there from 1893 to 1898. In 1896 the community reported a general store and a population of ten. In the mid-1930s Bobo had a church, a sawmill, and a number of houses. After World War II many of its residents moved away, but in the early 1990s a church, two cemeteries, and a few scattered houses still remained there.
Charles E. Tatum, Shelby County: In the East Texas Hills (Austin: Eakin, 1984).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Christopher Long, "BOBO, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrb74), accessed December 17, 2014. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.