BARTON COMMUNITY, TX
BARTON COMMUNITY, TEXAS. Barton Community is located on Farm Road 1585 twelve miles south of Lubbock in southwestern Lubbock County. The settlement was named for an early landowner who donated the site for a school. By 1927 the Barton school was one of twenty-six school districts in the county. The two-room school building, in which grades one through seven were taught, served also as a community center and church. The school at Barton was combined with similar institutions at Slide, Woodrow, New Hope, and Union in the mid-1930s to constitute the Cooper Rural School District. Early residents of Barton included the Thompson, Morton, Mabry, Potts, and Robertson families. Leading citizens included George Hindman, a farmer and gin manager, and Mr. and Mrs. Russell Dennison, early schoolteachers. In the 1980s Barton Community was an unincorporated farming community; the Barton Gin and the Irish Acres Pecan Orchard were the only businesses.
Mary Louise McDonald, The History of Lubbock County (M.A. thesis, University of Texas, 1942).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Charles G. Davis, "BARTON COMMUNITY, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrb80), accessed April 21, 2014. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.