BRYCE, TEXAS. Bryce is three miles north of Caledonia and nine miles east of Mount Enterprise in southeastern Rusk County. It was established as a lumbering community in the 1880s and originally named Eulalie. The first postmaster was Henry H. Moreland, appointed in 1893. By 1896 the community had an estimated population of 150, two churches, a physician, at least three businesses, and possibly a school. However, the post office was permanently discontinued in 1907, and the mail rerouted to Timpson. By 1910 the population had fallen to seventy-five; throughout the 1930s it was recorded as forty. By 1984 the community was known as Bryce. In 2000 the population was fifteen.
Dorman H. Winfrey, A History of Rusk County (Waco: Texian, 1961).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Megan Biesele, "BRYCE, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrb84), accessed May 24, 2013. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.