BOAZ, TEXAS. Boaz was between Brown's and Wolf creeks sixteen miles south of Gatesville in southeastern Coryell County. It was sometimes called Dunn's House, after John C. Dunn, who served as postmaster when the post office opened there in 1885. The community, presumably named for the biblical Boaz, in 1890 had a mill, a gin, a Baptist church, and thirty residents. By 1896 its population had risen to fifty. The Boaz post office was discontinued in 1912, and mail for the community was sent to Tama. The site became part of the Fort Hood military reservation in the early 1940s.
Coryell County Genealogical Society, Coryell County, Texas, Families, 1854–1985 (Dallas: Taylor, 1986). John J. Germann and Myron Janzen, Texas Post Offices by County (1986).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Vivian Elizabeth Smyrl, "BOAZ, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrbad), accessed December 08, 2013. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.