BENINA, TEXAS. Benina was twenty miles south of San Augustine in southeastern San Augustine County. The settlement was granted a post office named Ashton in 1871, and the name was changed to Boren's Mills in 1874. The community had an estimated 100 inhabitants, three cotton gin-gristmill combinations, and a blacksmith shop in 1884. The name was changed again to Benina in 1889. F. C. Powell was running a general store in the town in 1890. In 1896 Benina had a population of thirty and Methodist and Baptist churches. In 1914 the population had dropped to twenty-five inhabitants. The post office closed in 1920, and by the 1940s Benina was no longer listed on state highway maps.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Mark Odintz, "BENINA, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrbae), accessed July 25, 2014. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.