BIG ROCK, TX
BIG ROCK, TEXAS. Big Rock, just off Farm Road 1861 thirteen miles southwest of Canton in southwest Van Zandt County, was at or near the site of an undershot water mill built by W. W. Stirman in 1848. A post office operated there from 1856 until 1868. A black school was in existence by 1890 and had an enrollment of fifty-five in 1904. In the 1930s the community had a school for blacks and one for whites, and two churches, a business, and numerous residences. By 1965, however, two churches, and scattered dwellings were all that remained, and by 1984 the churches were gone.
Van Zandt County History Book Committee, History of Van Zandt County (Dallas, 1984).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Diana J. Kleiner, "BIG ROCK, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrbaj), accessed October 01, 2014. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.