BLACK HILL, TX
BLACK HILL, TEXAS. Black Hill, also known as Loma Prieta, is nine miles northwest of Pleasanton on Farm Road 478 in northeast Atascosa County. It was named for the black rocks that dominate the landscape. In 1920 Black Hill School was built and named by early settler Jack Temple. By 1934 it had twenty-nine students and two teachers. In the 1940s the community had one business and numerous scattered dwellings. In 1953 the Black Hills school was consolidated with that of Pleasanton. In the late 1960s a community center and a few widely scattered dwellings were located at the site. By 2000 the population had grown to sixty.
Margaret G. Clover, The Place Names of Atascosa County (M.A. thesis, University of Texas, 1952). Martin Stroble, Administrative Survey and Proposed Plan of Reorganization for the Public Schools of Atascosa County (M.Ed. thesis, University of Texas, 1936).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Linda Peterson, "BLACK HILL, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrbal), accessed August 23, 2014. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.