BETHEL, TX (VAN ZANDT COUNTY)
BETHEL, TEXAS (Van Zandt County). Bethel, near Farm Road 1651 eight miles southwest of Canton in southwest Van Zandt County, dates to October 27, 1858, when William F. Palmer and his wife deeded acreage for a Methodist Episcopal Church, South, and a cemetery nine miles southwest of Canton. In 1936 Bethel comprised a school, a church, a cemetery, and scattered dwellings, but by the 1950s the school had been consolidated with the Canton Independent School District. In 1965 the church, the cemetery, a single business establishment, and several dwellings marked the townsite, but population figures were unavailable. By 1984 only the church and scattered dwellings remained.
Van Zandt County History Book Committee, History of Van Zandt County (Dallas, 1984).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Diana J. Kleiner, "BETHEL, TX (VAN ZANDT COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrban), accessed April 20, 2014. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.