BASS, TEXAS. Bass, twenty miles east of Tyler in eastern Smith County, was named for a family of local settlers and granted a post office in 1886. In 1890 and 1892 John B. Bass was both postmaster and owner of a local cotton gin. In 1890 the town, which received mail semiweekly, had a population of four and businesses including a blacksmith, a corn mill, two cotton gins, and a sorghum plant. By 1892 the number of inhabitants had increased to eighteen and a druggist had opened a new business. The post office was discontinued in 1903.
"Post Offices and Postmasters of Smith County, Texas: 1847–1929," Chronicles of Smith County, Spring 1966.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Vista K. McCroskey, "BASS, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrbap), accessed August 20, 2014. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.