BLACKJACK, TX (SMITH COUNTY)
BLACKJACK, TEXAS (Smith County). Blackjack is just south of Lake Tyler off Farm Road 346 in southern Smith County. It is bordered on the east by Prairie Creek. The settlement, only a half mile east of the St. Louis and Southwestern Railway (originally the International-Great Northern), had a school, two churches, and a small collection of farms in 1936. By 1952 its school had been consolidated with the Whitehouse Independent School District. In 1973 the center of the scattered farm community was the New Canaan Church and Cemetery, and in 1981 Blackjack was identified as a church community.
Albert Woldert, A History of Tyler and Smith County (San Antonio: Naylor, 1948).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Vista K. McCroskey, "BLACKJACK, TX (SMITH COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrbaq), accessed May 19, 2013. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.