BLACK CREEK, TX
BLACK CREEK, TEXAS. Black Creek is on Farm Road 2200 six miles northwest of Devine in southeastern Medina County. Black Creek flows through the area. The eighth post office established in Medina County began operations in Black Creek in 1877 with John W. Reed as postmaster. The post office was discontinued in 1880. School records showed ninety-nine students attending two schools in 1908. Those schools, New Canaan and Black Creek, remained in the Black Creek school district until 1911 and were then combined in a two-room schoolhouse at the junction of the Devine-Yancey and the Devine-Hondo roads. One of the rooms served as an assembly hall with a piano, drop curtains, and a backdrop on a raised stage. In 1921 the community built another schoolhouse on the Adams Ranch in the western part of the district to serve students in remote areas. The Black Creek Primitive Baptist Church, located a few miles south of Black Creek, was established in 1882 by William S. Dubose. An active Baptist Church and school were all that remained of Black Creek in 1948. The Black Creek Baptist Church continued to serve the sparsely populated community in 1989.
Castro Colonies Heritage Association, The History of Medina County, Texas (Dallas: National Share Graphics, 1983). Houston B. Eggen, History of Public Education in Medina County, Texas, 1848–1928 (M.A. thesis, University of Texas, 1950).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Ruben E. Ochoa, "BLACK CREEK, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrbat), accessed February 28, 2015. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.