BEARD, TEXAS. Beard was on Farm Road 3080 and North Chamblee Creek fourteen miles southwest of Canton in extreme southwest Van Zandt County. In 1906 the Beard school had thirty-seven pupils; by the 1950s the school had been consolidated with the Mabank Independent School District. State highway maps showed a church and cemetery at Beard from 1936 to 1981. The site is located near Odom, and its cemetery is frequently called Odom-Beard or Odom-Baird Cemetery.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Diana J. Kleiner, "BEARD, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrbax), accessed December 11, 2013. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.