BUSBY, TX (FALLS COUNTY)
BUSBY, TEXAS (Falls County). Busby was on Little Deer Creek eleven miles west of Marlin and just east of Carolina in western Falls County. It was one of the earliest settlements in the county west of the Brazos River. A Baptist church, called Little Deer Creek Church, was built there in 1879. In 1881, when the county granted the community's petition for a school, the school was named Busby, in honor of a local family. When the San Antonio and Aransas Pass Railway was built from Waco to Lott in 1889, Busby was bypassed, but its school continued to draw students for a number of years. In 1905 the Busby school had two teachers and 105 students; by the early 1930s, however, its enrollment had fallen to forty-five. The Busby school district was divided between the Chilton and Lott independent school districts in 1949. The Busby church and a few scattered houses marked the community on the 1948 county highway map, but no sign of the community was shown on the 1989 map.
Lillian S. St. Romain, Western Falls County, Texas (Austin: Texas State Historical Association, 1951).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Vivian Elizabeth Smyrl, "BUSBY, TX (FALLS COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrbbr), accessed February 01, 2015. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.