BURKE TOWN, TX
BURKE TOWN, TEXAS. Burke Town was an early farming community on Farm Road 2501 six miles north of Apple Springs in northern Trinity County. It was named for Benjamin Burke, who moved to the area from Tyler County about 1859. In 1861 Burke, with the assistance of his slaves, erected a double-pen log house. A small settlement developed nearby in the years after the Civil War but had disappeared by the 1930s. In the early 1990s all that remained of the community was Burke's original houses and the Burke Cemetery.
Patricia B. and Joseph W. Hensley, eds., Trinity County Beginnings (Groveton, Texas: Trinity County Book Committee, 1986).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Christopher Long, "BURKE TOWN, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrbcn), accessed April 16, 2014. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.