BRUSHY PRAIRIE, TX
BRUSHY PRAIRIE, TEXAS. Brushy Prairie, on Farm Road 1578 eighteen miles west of Corsicana in northwestern Navarro County, was established before 1900. Two schools were in operation there by the early 1900s–a school for whites with an enrollment of sixty-five and one for blacks with an enrollment of fifty-four. In the mid-1930s Brushy Prairie had a church, a gin, a blacksmith shop, a school, a cemetery, and several stores. After World War II many of the residents moved away, the school was consolidated with that of Frost, and most of the businesses closed. By the mid-1970s only a church, a cemetery, and scattered houses remained. In 1990 Brushy Prairie was a dispersed rural community.
Annie Carpenter Love, History of Navarro County (Dallas: Southwestern, 1933). Alva Taylor, History and Photographs of Corsicana and Navarro County (Corsicana, Texas, 1959; rev. ed., Navarro County History and Photographs, Corsicana, 1962).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Christopher Long, "BRUSHY PRAIRIE, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrbcw), accessed December 08, 2013. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.