BABYLON, TEXAS. Babylon was midway between Dawson and Purdon, seventeen miles southwest of Corsicana in western Navarro County. It was founded by former slaves who around 1895 established a church that they named for the ancient city of Babylon because of its biblical associations; a school was in operation there by 1900. Residents traded in nearby Dawson, Purdon, or Spring Hill. The school and church were later closed, and after World War II most of the remaining residents left the area. In the early 1990s only a few scattered houses remained at the site.
Navarro County Scroll, 1966.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Christopher Long, "BABYLON, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrbgr), accessed May 21, 2013. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.