BROOKS CHAPEL, TX
BROOKS CHAPEL, TEXAS. Brooks Chapel, on Farm Road 1251 twelve miles west of Carthage in western Panola County, was settled before the 1850s and named for a church built by early settler John Fletcher Brooks. The community's first school was built around 1878 on land donated by Brooks a mile west of the present Brooks Chapel church. The school was later moved to a site just east of what is now the community center. In 1902 the school burned and was rebuilt next to the Brooks Chapel church. In the mid-1930s the community had a church, a school, a cemetery, and a number of houses. Its school was closed in 1942, and local students were transferred to the Carthage or Beckville school. By the mid-1960s a church, a cemetery, a community center, and a few scattered dwellings remained in the area. During the early 1990s Brooks Chapel was a dispersed community.
Leila B. LaGrone, ed., History of Panola County (Carthage, Texas: Panola County Historical Commission, 1979).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Christopher Long, "BROOKS CHAPEL, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrbgv), accessed August 20, 2014. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.