BRILEYTOWN, TEXAS. Brileytown, also known as Old Brileytown, was an early settlement just off U.S. Highway 59 fifteen miles northeast of Nacogdoches in northeastern Nacogdoches County. Sources suggest that the area was settled prior to the Civil War. At one time there were several stores at the site. By 1880, however, Brileytown was deserted. Subsequently, a public school began operating there before 1900; in 1904 it had an enrollment of twenty-five. The school later closed, and in the early 1990s only a church and a few scattered houses remained in the area.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Christopher Long, "BRILEYTOWN, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrbhm), accessed March 07, 2014. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.