BOXWOOD, TEXAS. Boxwood, on Farm Road 1649 twelve miles northeast of Gilmer in eastern Upshur County, was probably founded in the 1880s or early 1890s. A post office operated there from 1895 to 1906. Around 1900 Boxwood had a population of thirty. In the mid-1930s the community comprised a school, a store, and a number of scattered houses. After World War II its school was consolidated with the Ore City school, and by the mid-1960s all that remained of Boxwood was a few widely scattered houses. In 2000 the population was twenty.
Doyal T. Loyd, History of Upshur County (Waco: Texian Press, 1987).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Christopher Long, "BOXWOOD, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrbhq), accessed March 11, 2014. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.