BLOCK CREEK, TX
BLOCK CREEK, TEXAS. Block Creek was a small community on the east bank of Block Creek and the old Comfort to Fredericksburg road, 2½ miles north of Farm Road 473 and some eight miles northeast of Comfort in western Kendall County. It was settled, in part, by Freethinkers. A post office opened at Block Creek in 1884 and closed in 1895. In 1890 the community had fifteen residents. The Block Creek school had opened by around 1900 and remained the focus of a common school district until 1949, when it became part of the Comfort Independent School District. In 1913 the Fredericksburg and Northern Railway established a flag stop in Block Creek to benefit nearby Hillingdon Ranch. Two or three houses marked the community on county highway maps in the late 1940s, but by the 1980s these were no longer shown on maps of the area.
Kendall County Historical Commission, A History of Kendall County, Texas (Dallas: Taylor, 1984).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Melissa G. Wiedenfeld, "BLOCK CREEK, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrbmr), accessed September 21, 2014. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.