BOHEMIAN, TEXAS. Bohemian, also known as Bohemian Community, was off State Highway 94 four miles northeast of Groveton in northeastern Trinity County. The settlement was formed around 1920 by immigrants from Czechoslovakia. Many of the settlers originally lived in Cedar Rapids, Iowa, before moving to Trinity County. The group was led by Augustin (August) Dolezal, who operated a bakery in Groveton. Some Czechs settled in Groveton; others established farms northeast of the town. Most residents, however, moved out of the area after World War II. In the 1980s few traces of the community remained; a cemetery built by the first settlers was overgrown, and most of the graves had been removed.
Patricia B. and Joseph W. Hensley, eds., Trinity County Beginnings (Groveton, Texas: Trinity County Book Committee, 1986). Trinity County Historical Commission, Trinity County Cemeteries (Burnet, Texas: Nortex, 1980).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Christopher Long, "BOHEMIAN, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrbqn), accessed August 22, 2014. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.