CAMP SWITCH, TX
CAMP SWITCH, TEXAS. Camp Switch, on the Missouri Pacific Railroad between Kilgore and White Oak in central Gregg County, was established before 1880. The small settlement was originally known as Camp or Camps, but the name was changed to Camps Switch for the nearby railroad siding. In 1884 Camps was listed as a station on the Texas and Pacific. In 1949 it had one business and a population of 25. In the mid-1960s the population reached 150, but in 1990 and again in 2000 it was 70.
Eugene W. McWhorter, Traditions of the Land: The History of Gregg County (Longview, Texas: Gregg County Historical Foundation, 1989).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Christopher Long, "CAMP SWITCH, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrc18), accessed April 16, 2014. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.