Bookmark and Share
Facebook
Twitter
LinkedIn

CEDAR BAYOU, TX

CEDAR BAYOU, TEXAS. Cedar Bayou is at the intersection of Sjolander Road and the Southern Pacific Railroad, two miles north of State Highway 146 within what is now the city limits of Baytown in eastern Harris County. Though the founding date of Cedar Bayou is uncertain, the first recorded burial in the area was in 1810. In its early years and even as late as the 1930s, the community was used as a shipping port for bricks and other materials to Galveston Bay. A Methodist church was organized at Cedar Bayou in 1844, and the community's first school was founded in 1845. In 1870 a Masonic lodge was started in the area, and in 1871 John Peter Sjolander arrived at the community from his native Sweden. From 1870 until sometime after 1930 Cedar Bayou had a post office. In 1880 the community had thirty students under the instruction of William K. Gourley, and by 1900 there were sixty students with two teachers. By 1884 Baptist and Christian churches had been organized at the community. In 1890 the town had a population of 200, three general stores, several steam gristmills and cotton gins, and two brick manufacturers. In 1905 one Cedar Bayou school had six black students and one teacher, and a second school had ninety white students and three teachers. By 1914 Cedar Bayou had a population of 400, as well as five general stores, a boatbuilder, and an undertaker. In 1947 it reported a population of 500 and five businesses. The town was annexed in 1955 by the city of Baytown. In the early 1990s Cedar Bayou reported 1,287 inhabitants. The population remained the same in 2000.

BIBLIOGRAPHY: 

Margaret Swett Henson, History of Baytown (Baytown, Texas: Bay Area Heritage Society, 1986). Houston Chronicle, June 13, 1937.

Timothy Nolan Smith

Citation

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.

Timothy Nolan Smith, "CEDAR BAYOU, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrc33), accessed July 29, 2014. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.