CITRUS GROVE, TX
CITRUS GROVE, TEXAS. Citrus Grove is at the junction of two rural roads four miles northeast of Collegeport in southwestern Matagorda County. It was named for citrus orchards that were planted in the early 1900s. By 1910 the community was a stop on the St. Louis, Brownsville and Mexico Railway. That year the post office opened, and the population was twenty-five. In 1914 Citrus Grove had a gin, an express agent, a grocery and lumber business, a dry goods store, and a telephone connection. In 1925 the population had risen to fifty, but no businesses were registered. In 1936 Citrus Grove had eight scattered dwellings. In 1948, the last year that the settlement reported statistics, one business and fifty inhabitants were listed. As recently as 1989 the community still appeared on county maps, and in 1990 it was still listed as a community. The population was fifteen in 2000.
Matagorda County Historical Commission, Historic Matagorda County (3 vols., Houston: Armstrong, 1986).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Stephen L. Hardin, "CITRUS GROVE, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrc59), accessed August 21, 2014. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.