CLARA, TX (WICHITA COUNTY)
CLARA, TEXAS (Wichita County). Clara is on Farm Road 1813 and State Highway 240 twelve miles northwest of Wichita Falls in north central Wichita County. Development of the community began in April 1886, when Herman Specht filed the plat for a new town named in honor of his wife, Clara (Vogel). A Clara post office opened in 1886 but closed in 1892. The population reached thirty in 1890, a Lutheran church was built in 1900, and a one-room school served until 1929, when it joined Common School District No. 9. Clara grew to fifty residents by 1925, and the post office was open again from 1921 to 1925. In 1944 the school was consolidated with the Burkburnett school system. In 1936 Clara had a church, a cemetery, a school, and several businesses. From 1966 until 2000 the community reported 100 residents.
Louise Kelly, Wichita County Beginnings (Burnet, Texas: Eakin Press, 1982).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.David Minor, "CLARA, TX (WICHITA COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrc60), accessed December 12, 2013. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.