CLARK, TX (LIBERTY COUNTY)
CLARK, TEXAS (Liberty County). Clark is on State Highway 146 sixty miles northwest of Beaumont in northeastern Liberty County. During the 1840s the area was the site of Sam Houston's Grand Cane plantation on the Trinity River. The Grand Cane post office, established in 1846, was renamed Ironwood in 1869. The 1870 census listed seventy-six households in the Ironwood district, a largely agricultural area whose fertile soils supported dense forests. In 1900 the Ironwood post office was renamed Clark at the suggestion of postmaster Randolph Fields. As the lumber industry moved into northeastern Liberty County, the Cummings logging camp was established to the southwest, and the Milvid logging road was carved to the north and east. Clark became a voting precinct in 1924, and it was consolidated with Rye to form the Concord precinct in 1948. A few scattered buildings and a gravel pit still marked the site of Clark in 1990.
Miriam Partlow, Liberty, Liberty County, and the Atascosito District (Austin: Pemberton, 1974).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Robert Wooster, "CLARK, TX (LIBERTY COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrc62), accessed June 19, 2013. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.