COESFIELD, TEXAS. Coesfield is near Horseshoe Bend on the Red River, fifteen miles northeast of Gainesville in Cooke County. The town was given its name by Frank Liedke, a Civil War veteran, who moved to the area in 1867 and named the town after his hometown in Germany. After the Civil War Coesfield had a number of residents who were veterans that had moved to the area to farm. A post office opened there in 1883, and the town's population grew from twenty-five in 1884 to 150 in 1890. Its post office closed in 1906, and by 1933 the population of Coesfield had declined to eighty-one. By the mid-1980s only a few residents remained there.
Gainesville Daily Register, Centennial Edition, August 30, 1948, A. Morton Smith, The First 100 Years in Cooke County (San Antonio: Naylor, 1955).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Robert Wayne McDaniel, "COESFIELD, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrc73), accessed January 29, 2015. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.