COIT, TEXAS. Coit is on Farm Road 339 six miles northwest of Kosse in southwestern Limestone County. The site, at the center of a large farming area between Rocky Creek and the Little Brazos River, was settled by Ben Eaton, who set up a horse-powered gristmill there about 1848. A local post office was established in 1898 with William J. McAllister as postmaster, and W. J. Steele ran a gin. By 1871 the Houston and Texas Central Railway had been constructed through the area and had attracted more settlers. In 1900 B. B. Brooks opened a general store. The post office closed in 1905, however, and between 1910 and 1933 Coit's population rose from ten to only fifteen. In 1946 the community reported fifteen dwellings, one school, two churches, and two businesses, but its reported population had not changed. A single store existed at the townsite in 1955, and population estimates were unavailable after 1966, when Coit had eight buildings, Fairview Church, Clifton Cemetery, and three oil wells. After 1970 a church, the Clifton and Gunter cemeteries, and one business remained near the Coit oilfield. The population was listed as twenty-five in 2000.
Ray A. Walter, A History of Limestone County (Austin: Von Boeckmann-Jones, 1959).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Holly Marshall, "COIT, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrc74), accessed October 21, 2014. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.