COLQUITT, TEXAS. Colquitt is on a spur off Farm Road 548 two miles south of the Rockwall county line in north central Kaufman County. The settlement was established sometime in the 1880s and throughout its history has served as a community center for area farmers. It was named for a family of pioneer settlers, a descendant of whom, Oscar B. Colquitt, became governor in 1911. At one time the town had a gin, a store, and several houses. Between 1910 and the early 1930s the population was just over 100. In the early 1940s it was estimated at twenty-five. Colquitt was still listed as a community in 1990.
Ed Ellsworth Bartholomew, The Encyclopedia of Texas Ghost Towns (Fort Davis, Texas, 1982).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.David Minor, "COLQUITT, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrc81), accessed December 21, 2014. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.