CONCHO, TEXAS. Concho is on Ranch Road 1929 and the Concho River, seven miles northeast of Paint Rock in northeastern Concho County. It had a post office from 1905 until sometime after 1936. Its first school opened in 1906–07 with one teacher. The community had a cotton gin and a Woodmen of the World lodge in 1908 and a general store and a blacksmith in 1914. In 1936, in addition to the school and the post office, Concho had two businesses and a scattering of other buildings. In 1940 its seven-grade school had two teachers and an average daily attendance of thirty-one students. By 1955 the Concho school district had been consolidated with that of Paint Rock. Concho's reported population stood at twenty in 1914, declined to fifteen by 1925, rose to fifty by 1939, and dropped to thirty by 1968. A 1987 topographical map showed a cemetery and one occupied building at the community.
Gus Clemens, Jr., The Concho Country (San Antonio: Mulberry Avenue, 1980). Hazie LeFevre, Concho County History: 1858–1958 (2 vols., Eden, Texas, 1959). W. C. Montgomery, Have You Ever Heard of the Great Concho Country? (Ballinger, Texas, 1908). Vernon Lee Rucker, A Proposed Reorganization of the Concho County, Texas, Public Schools (M.Ed. thesis, University of Texas, 1940).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Mary M. Standifer, "CONCHO, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrc84), accessed December 06, 2013. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.