CONNOR, TEXAS. Connor, on Farm Road 1428 eight miles east of Madisonville in Madison County, was established in the mid-1800s. Rufus M. Connor and James S. Connor were postmasters at the local post office, which operated from 1890 until 1905. The general store was also run by Jim Connor. The population of Connor was 101 in 1900. The area raised livestock and fruits, vegetables, and cotton. Several general stores, a blacksmith shop, a cotton gin, and a gristmill operated at the time. A two-room Black Oak School was established in 1880; one room was for the boys, and the other was for the girls. A single teacher sat between the rooms and taught arithmetic, English, history, and spelling. David Green donated land for South Bethel School and a Methodist church. Several other churches including a Baptist church and a Church of Christ were built in the community. The population was fifty in the 1930s, when Connor had a school and scattered dwellings. In 1989 a general store was in operation at the site. In 2000 the population was twenty.
Madison County Historical Commission, A History of Madison County (Dallas: Taylor, 1984).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Ellen C. Short, "CONNOR, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrc87), accessed December 22, 2014. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.