COUNTY LINE, TX (RAINS COUNTY)
COUNTY LINE, TEXAS (Rains County). County Line is on Farm Road 275 some seven miles north of Emory in northern Rains County. The site was first settled about 1840 by William Garrett. Supplies for early settlers were freighted from Jefferson. The first cotton gin there was built by Sam Matthis and Bill Stamps. After the Civil War the school that served the community was called Union Valley. During the 1930s the settlement had a church, school, and post office. Its school and post office closed after World War II, and in the early 1990s only the church and a few scattered houses remained. In 1991 County Line reported a population of forty. The population remained the same in 2000.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Anna May Schrimsher, "COUNTY LINE, TX (RAINS COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrc96), accessed March 11, 2014. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.