CURTIS, TEXAS. Curtis is at the junction of State Highway 63 and Farm Road 777, eighty miles north of Beaumont in central Jasper County. It was known as Byerly's Gin until the mid-1940s, when the Beech Grove post office was moved to the site and renamed after the son of postmaster Adam Byerly. The Jasper-Newton Electric Cooperative maintained a suboffice at Curtis by 1948, when the community's population was estimated to be 150. In 1986 Curtis had several residences, a church, a store, and a small helicopter plant.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Robert Wooster, "CURTIS, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrcaw), accessed April 21, 2014. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.