CUSSETA, TEXAS. Cusseta is on the fringes of the Cusseta Mountains 11½ miles northwest of Linden in northwestern Cass County. The community was first settled in the early 1850s and was named for Cusseta, Alabama, the hometown of John Robin Heard, an early settler. A post office was established there in 1856, and the town was probably a supply point for plantation owners who lived in the area. By 1884 Cusseta reported two gins, a gristmill, a school, and a population of 100. By 1896 its population had fallen to fifty. In 1914 the population of the community was 100, but by 1933 it had fallen to sixty, with two rated businesses. In 1990 Cusseta reported thirty residents and no rated businesses. The population remained the same in 2000.
Cass County Cemeteries: Texas Records (Atlanta, Texas: Cass County Genealogical Society, 1976).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Cecil Harper, Jr., "CUSSETA, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrcax), accessed December 13, 2013. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.