CUTHAND, TEXAS. Cuthand, ten miles south of Clarksville in southern Red River County, was called Enterprise when planters began settlement there about 1850. In the late 1860s E. A. Mauldin established a gristmill and cotton gin at the site, and Samuel T. Arnold opened a general store. A post office was granted to the community in 1867, and its postmaster, Cornelius Crenshaw, named it for Cuthand Creek. The community had a population of 130, two gins, a church, and a school by 1880. Cuthand's population reached 150 in 1890 but declined to sixty by 1896. It was reported as ninety-one in 1914 and as ninety-six from 1920 through 1956. The Cuthand post office was closed in the 1950s, and in 1986 Cuthand reported a population of thirty-two and no businesses. In 1990 and 2000 its population was 116.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Claudia Hazlewood, "CUTHAND, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrcaz), accessed November 29, 2014. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.