COLONY HILL, TX
COLONY HILL, TEXAS. Colony Hill was on Farm Road 1750 near the site of the present Abilene Municipal Airport in northeastern Taylor County. Colony Hill school, named for a colony of Germans that had recently settled in the area, was started in 1878. In the early years of the settlement church services were held in the school building, until a Baptist Church was erected in 1898. In 1902 Colony Hill school served two teachers and eighty-one pupils. In 1921 the old plank school burned down and was replaced by a new brick building. The church and school were both gone by the 1940s, and by the 1980s the community site lay within the Abilene city limits.
Juanita Daniel Zachry, A History of Rural Taylor County (Burnet, Texas: Nortex, 1980).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Mark Odintz, "COLONY HILL, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrcbx), accessed March 09, 2014. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.