CARL, TX (TRAVIS COUNTY)
CARL, TEXAS (Travis County). Carl is twelve miles south of Austin and two miles north of Creedmoor in southern Travis County. It had an estimated population of thirty in 1886. A post office opened there in 1887 with William T. Hart as postmaster. By the early 1890s the settlement had a steam gristmill and cotton gin, four churches, a school, a hotel, a general store, and 250 residents. By 1900, however, the community began to decline. The post office was discontinued in 1902, and mail was sent to Buda in Hays County. A school, a church, and a few scattered houses marked the site on county highway maps in the 1940s. Carl was still listed as a community in 1990.
John J. Germann and Myron Janzen, Texas Post Offices by County (1986).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Vivian Elizabeth Smyrl, "CARL, TX (TRAVIS COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrcdm), accessed May 21, 2013. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.