CEDAR MILL, TX
CEDAR MILL, TEXAS. Cedar Mill was on the old road from Austin to Hamilton Valley (now Burnet) near the intersection of Farm Road 243 and Ranch Road 1174 in Burnet County. The first settler came in 1854. Alexander Barton, a miller, ran a sawmill, gristmill, and flour mill on the south fork of Oatmeal Creek. There were also merchants and a saddletree maker. The early settlers came from South Carolina, Missouri, and Illinois. During the 1860s an Austin-Burnet road was charted on more favorable terrain. This caused the citizens of Cedar Mill to move in the 1870s to a site north of the South San Gabriel River, where they called their new settlement South Gabriel.
Darrell Debo, Burnet County History (2 vols., Burnet, Texas: Eakin, 1979).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Maxine B. Glimp, "CEDAR MILL, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrcec), accessed October 25, 2014. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.