CLEVELAND, TX (DELTA COUNTY)
CLEVELAND, TEXAS (Delta County). Cleveland was near Farm Road 895 between Kensing and Vasco in eastern Delta County. The Edgar School, one of the county's first, opened there in 1883. The school was named for a local family, but the popularity of President Grover Cleveland led residents to change the name of the community in his honor in 1885. By 1889 citizens had also established the Cleveland Baptist Church, which sent a messenger to Delta County Baptist Association meeting that year. The school had thirty-six white students and one teacher in 1905. In 1939 it was consolidated into the East Delta School District. By 1964 Cleveland no longer appeared on maps.
Paul Garland Hervey, A History of Education in Delta County, Texas (M.A. thesis, University of Texas, 1951). Wilma Ross and Billie Phillips, Photos and Tales of Delta County (1976).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Vista K. McCroskey, "CLEVELAND, TX (DELTA COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrcfc), accessed March 04, 2015. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.