CRAIG-TRANQUIL, TEXAS. Craig-Tranquil was a church community 3½ miles northeast of Cooper in central Delta County. The area was settled by 1854, when local residents deeded property to the Craig-Tranquil Methodist Episcopal Church, South. The Tranquil school had opened by 1905, when it enrolled twenty-six pupils and employed one teacher. In 1928 this school merged with the nearby Craig Prairie school to form the Craig-Tranquil district. In 1949 this system was divided between the Enloe and Cooper school districts. By 1964 the community was no longer shown on maps.
Paul Garland Hervey, A History of Education in Delta County, Texas (M.A. thesis, University of Texas, 1951). Wilma Ross and Billie Phillips, Photos and Tales of Delta County (1976).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Vista K. McCroskey, "CRAIG-TRANQUIL, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrcfd), accessed October 22, 2014. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.