CARVER, TEXAS. Carver was an African-American community located on Farm Road 39 about six miles south of Jewett and nine miles west-northwest of Centerville in northwestern Leon County. Around the early 1900s a school named Carver School opened to serve African-American families in the region. A new building was constructed in 1949. Carver School closed in the 1960s. By 2000 the name Carver was still shown on highway maps, but no real community existed. The old school building was owned by a private owner who used the structure as a residence and business. No population estimates were available.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Laurie E. Jasinski, "CARVER, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrcfn), accessed January 29, 2015. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.