CORINTH, TX (LEON COUNTY)
CORINTH, TEXAS (Leon County). The rural community of Corinth is located on State Highway 75 about ten miles north of Centerville in northern Leon County. The settlement, named after a Biblical reference, began in the late 1800s, and church records indicate that the area had an organized church known as Buffalo Circuit in the 1890s. W. A. Prichard served as pastor. By the early 1900s Corinth, sometimes spelled Corrinth, was a thriving agricultural community with a gin, blacksmith, gristmill, store, school, and the church. Resident Reece Pickens operated the gristmill and blacksmith shop. The Corinth-Flo Telephone Company served the town in 1910. In 1913 citizens organized and constructed the Union Church, which served both Methodist and Baptist congregations. Highway maps of the 1930s show the church, school, a tourist camp, and several businesses. From 1950 until 1962 the Corinth Methodist Church conducted services. By the second half of the twentieth century the school had closed. In 2000 Corinth had no church or businesses. Residents of the dispersed community engaged in ranching. No population estimates were available.
Leon County Historical Book Survey Committee, History of Leon County (Dallas: Curtis Media, 1986).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Laurie E. Jasinski, "CORINTH, TX (LEON COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrcfq), accessed September 21, 2014. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.