COZART, TEXAS. Cozart, a farming and post office community fourteen miles southwest of Carthage in southwestern Panola County, was probably established in the 1890s. A post office had opened there by 1901. At its height around the turn of the century, the community had a store, a mill, and a number of houses. When the Timpson and Henderson Railway bypassed Cozart in 1903, the local post office was closed, and within a short time the community was abandoned. Most of its residents moved to nearby Ragley, a stop on the railroad.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Christopher Long, "COZART, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrcfw), accessed January 27, 2015. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.