CHANCEY, TEXAS. Chancey was ten miles west of Lufkin in western Angelina County. It was established around 1900 as a whistle stop on the St. Louis and Southwestern Railway. By 1915 a small sawmill center had grown up there. A post office operated at the community from 1915 to 1916, when the office closed and local mail was routed through Lufkin. By the mid-1930s Chancey was no longer shown on maps of the area.
Angelina County Historical Survey Committee, Land of the Little Angel: A History of Angelina County, Texas, ed. Bob Bowman (Lufkin, Texas: Lufkin Printing, 1976).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Christopher Long, "CHANCEY, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrcgr), accessed December 26, 2014. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.