CREATH, TEXAS. Creath, on Farm Road 1733 near Wilcox Branch, some fifteen miles northeast of Crockett in eastern Houston County, was established around 1900 by M. B. Creath, who operated the community's general store and cotton gin. A post office opened there in 1904, with Creath as postmaster. In the mid-1930s the community had a store, a number of houses, and an estimated population of 100. After World War II many of its residents moved away, and by the early 1990s only a few widely scattered houses remained. In 2000 the population was twenty.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Christopher Long, "CREATH, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrcjt), accessed June 16, 2013. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.